photo home_zps38eefb72.png  photo aboutme_zpsd52aac8f.png  photo mystore_zps39a49aca.png  photo privacypolicy_1.jpg

August 17, 2017

5 Tips for Managing IEP Paperwork

Being a special education teacher is amazing and rewarding.  I absolutely love working with my students, working towards their goals, and celebrating their successes.  Working and interacting with my students is my favorite part of my job.  But, along with it, comes paperwork.  Although it is super important and necessary for the success of each child, the paperwork can be time consuming and difficult to manage (especially when you have a large caseload)!

One thing I try not to do is let the paperwork take over my life.  I want to be able to spend time with my family in the evenings and weekends.  So, here are some tips that I use to manage paperwork:

1. Stay organized!  This is the most important in order to keep your sanity and save time in the long run.  It takes a little extra time up front, but you will be happy you did it later on!  Although our school does so much electronically, I still use a binder to organize IEP and Reevaluation due dates, caseload information, and goal progress sheets.  I use my IEP Pack for a simple and neat way to record all this information, but you can use whichever forms you already have in place as well.  I find it helpful to keep it in one binder.  It's less binders to keep up with and I'm more likely to record information in it when everything is in one place.  The idea is to have all of your students' important information organized and in one place for quick reference








These are all the sheets included in my IEP pack.

First I have the caseload information sheet, next parent contact sheet, then parent contact log.  Then I have the IEP sneak peak for a quick reference of their related services, accommodations, etc.  Then I keep the IEP goal tracking sheet.  I give a quick summary of their actual goal, so I don't spend a ton of time writing each of them out.  For example, if the student has a fluency goal, It would look like this: Read 60wpm on 2nd grade level w/80% acc.  Just enough info so I know what the goal is. Then I just write the assessment date and write their score in the box.  For example, next to the goal I would write 55/85% for 55 wpm with 85% accuracy.  This sheet is perfect for keeping track of each student's IEP goals.  I like to put all of my students' together in that one binder.  Again it makes it easier to carry it around when needed, and I can easily access any students goal progress quickly, without having to pull out individual binders or folders.  This helps make writing IEPs easier, since all the info on their previous IEP goals is right there.

In the back of the binder, I stick these little reminder sheets.  Sometimes life gets busy, so I like to send home a quick reminder note of upcoming meetings.  About a week before the meeting, I send them home.



2. Folders.  Along with my special education binder, I also have folders for each student.  I keep all of their work samples in them.  When I have an IEP meeting, I just grab the folder and bring it to the meeting.  Having these folders also helps with filling out the paperwork for the meeting.

3. Designate a time to work on paperwork each day.  In the morning before students come in, I like to make sure my materials, etc. are where they should be for the lessons.  I make last minute copies, etc for the upcoming day.  During my planning time on Fridays, I plan for the next week.  Monday-Thursday, I try to use my planning time to work on IEP paperwork.  At the end of the school day, if you are able to, try to spend 15-30 minutes a couple days per week working on the paperwork.  As you get new information from assessments and progress monitoring, you can enter it in.  Also, when working on reevaluation or initial referrals, add in the testing information as soon as you can when you get it back from the psychologists, related service providers (OT, PT, Speech), etc.  This way you are not leaving it to be all entered at once.

4. Don't wait until last minute!  Get as much of the paperwork completed weeks ahead of time.  Especially areas that you have list students' strengths/needs/etc.  Also, you can fill out the students' accommodations and modifications far ahead of time since you already know what they typically need, and that these don't change too often.  Also, try to schedule meetings at least 1-2 months prior to the IEP/Reeval due date.  Getting your meetings scheduled in advance takes away some of the anxiety of scheduling.

5. Collaborate!  A few weeks before the each meeting, get input from the regular education teacher.  I was getting ready to actually create a form to use, and luckily found this gem from Special Little Learners on Pinterest before I started reinventing the wheel.  Click on the picture below to download this.  It's perfect for getting information for upcoming IEPs.


Some of these tips may seem like no brainers, but it can be easy to forget to do some of these.  Especially when things get busy!  Being a special educator, there will always be a ton of paperwork.  But, if you develop a routine and make it a habit, the paperwork becomes much more manageable!  Do you have any special tips that help you manage paperwork?

Ciao!







No comments:

Post a Comment